The secret to crispy deep-fried calamari is in the coating. I like mine hot and spicy. as well as crunchy..
- 500g Calamari (cut as desired)
- ⅔ Cup Corn Flake crumbs
- 2 Cups strong flour
- 1 Tbs Salt
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 2 TBp Cayenne pepper
- 1 TBp Garlic powder
- 1 Cup cornflour
- 2-3 Eggs lightly beaten
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- Oil for frying
For the Coating
- Combine the corn flake crumbs, flour, salt, sugar, cayenne and garlic powder in a large bowl
- Measure a cup of cornflour into another bowl
- Lightly beat 2-3 eggs in a third bowl
To Coat the Rings
- Working with a few calamari at a time, drench the calamari in the cornflour
- Dip the calamari in the egg, and then drop them into the coating mixture
- Shake them around until they are coated, then transfer them to a flat platter. Make sure the calamari cuts are not touching.
- Repeat until all of the calamari cuts are coated.
- Allow the calamari to stand for at least 20 minutes before proceeding
- Half-fill your frying pan with oil. Heat the oil to 180c / 350f
- Scoop the calamari up one by one and lower them into the oil. Repeat until the surface area of the pan is covered.
- Fry for 90 seconds per side, then remove and drain on kitchen towel.
- Repeat with the remaining calamari.
- Arrange the calamari on platters, garnish with the lemon wedges and serve with the accompaniments of your choice