I love Sweet potatoes and in this dish, it is just amazing. Of course, people have several variations to this recipe, where other tubers are used such as yam or cocoyam, or white potato, or even cassava.
- 6 medium size potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium size fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dried pounded shrimps
- ½ cup dried herrings (peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 soup ladle of palm oil (or less)
- 3 tablespoons garlic puree
- 3 tablespoons ginger puree
- Wash and peel the potatoes with a knife or potato peel and cut into cubes.
- Peel the onion, leaving it whole.
- Rinse the tomatoes, leaving them whole.
- Put the potatoes, whole onion and tomatoes in a saucepan and add 5 cups of water. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and cook until the potato is soft (20-30 minutes).
- Remove the tomatoes and onions and blend them with a food processor or blender, then return them to the pot.
- Add the pounded shrimp, herrings, ginger, garlic, salt, red pepper and palm oil.
- Let the mixture simmer briefly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Enjoy! xoxo Lady Elolo