This is my favorite hot sunny day drink. Everywhere in Ghana, you will find several retailers and street hawkers selling this. The best thing about it is that, you can add cut fruits or any fruit puree to make your desired flavor.
It is made from hibiscus flower. The flower is also used in making wine, juice, tea and spices. It can also be used in preparing raw salad.
I add some lemon grass which is optional. The aroma from brewing these leaves is just amazing.
- 3 cups of Hibiscus flower (Sobolo Leaves)
- 1 cup chopped lemon grass (optional)
- 1 cup blended Ginger (you can reduce it if you don’t like it to have a sharp taste)
- 2 cups of sugar (or more depending on how sweet you want it)
- 5 litres of boiling water (for brewing of the leaves)
- Put the Sobolo leaves and lemon grass in a pan and add water.
- Put the mixture on fire to boil for an hour and half(check to verify if the leaves are soft) and bring it off the fire to cool.
- Sieve the blended ginger into a bowl
- Sieve the cool cooked hibiscus leaves also into a separate bowl.
- Add all the strained liquids (Ginger and Sobolo) together.
- Add your flavor and Sugar to taste
- Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon or ladle till the sugar dissolves.
- Chill in a freezer and serve cold.
You can serve the sobolo with cut fruits or a slice of orange or lemon or mint leaves. They also help to improve the taste. It is a very tasty drink with herbs and grass to boost your immune system.