Croutons are just amazing. I always love to place them in my salads. I also put them in cheesy dipping sauce and take them as a snack. Croutons in this part of the country are quite expensive so I do them at home. At home I get to experiment on many flavours with the least ingredients. All you need is bread. My dad is always buying bread so we have a lot lying around. You can add more spice and herbs to create you favourite flavour. Here is the recipe I used.
8 bread slices
1/4 cup of melted butter
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon dried herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
1 tablespoon powdered pepper
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Cut the bread in to cubes or the shape you prefer you croutons to be in.
- Place the cut bread on baking tray lined with wax paper. Ensure that they are in a single layer.
- Drizzle the melted butter on all the bread pieces.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, dried herbs and garlic.
- Toss them and spread them out so that they are in a single layer.
- Bake for 6 minutes and toss. Bake for another 6 minutes or more depending on the size of the bread cuts or the colour of croutons you prefer.
- Cool and store in a tight-fitting lead bowl.
Enjoy Cooking. its yours truly, Lady Elolo